Always have a plan. Well planned is half done. It’s as simple as that. This applies to Digital Signage as well. When talking about digital signage the plan is called “content strategy”. A well thought content strategy can help organisations to make sure that their key objectives will be achieved.
How to make this happen?
Having held tens of content strategy workshops, we can say there’s a simple rule of three to keep in mind. This can work as a simplified framework to secure a solid plan. Keep the following three domains in mind when crafting your digital signage content strategy as it will lead to better user experience.
#1 Communicate with the audience to empower with information
Communicate = What the audience would need to know.
This would be the compelling message that your company would like to get through to the target audience at any given time. Some examples might be
- Communicate visualised in time strategic metrics to drive action. Here is an example of Salesforce data including Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) that can be visualized.
- Increase workplace health & safety by visualising accident free data
- Boost motivation by posting new wins, successful deliveries and happy customer stories on internal Digital Signage network. A short message with accompanying image is more than enough – you can do this straight from your mobile even.
Whatever is important for your company, be clear and consistent. Document the identified strategic main topics under the Communicate domain in your plan.
#2 Inform to increase attention
Inform = This is content and information that is interesting for your target audience, often outside the work context.
Educate and inform the target audience with content that is relevant for them. Note that this bit requires knowing your audience well. Be relevant & try to make it personal. Some are interested in sports news in the morning, others are interested in the latest public transportation timetables close to the time when they’d be heading home. Document the identified main topics under the Inform domain in your plan.
#3 Engage to drive action
Engage = Empower the employees to take part and interact through the medium.
- Ask for feedback visualise the results in real time on the Screens.
- Launch a Twitter hashtag for company specific tweets #winningtogether as an example. Filter and visualise the tweets automatically on your company Digital Signage network.
- Empower managers and employees to share their success stories or ideas over Digital Signage right from their mobile phones – this is user generated content. These were just some examples of how to engage. Document the identified topics & actions under the Engage domain in your plan.
Now take a good look at your plan. You should now have three domains with further ideas for your strategic topics under each. Your digital signage playlist for your network should include these elements. Serving relevant and informative content will lead to better user experience.
We’ll cover the further details of a good content strategy in the coming blogs. Here is some additional reading related to the topic.
Do you have a Digital Signage project and would like to know more about content automation and content strategy? Please enter your contact information and our team will be in touch with you shortly.